If you have never made a “salad roll” before, it’s a great way to enjoy a nutritious meal on a hot day. Try this Thai roll recipe and enjoy a healthy combination of chicken, fish, meat or tofu along with crunchy vegetables, all wrapped into one “roll” that you can dip in peanut sauce.
The traditional Thai salad roll uses rice noodles inside the roll, but this recipe substitutes jicama for crunchiness and to reduce the amount of carbohydrates you will consume. The dish can be served as an appetizer or as a full lunch or dinner.
Watch Chef Thu Ha Dinh of Portland, OR prepares this simple and healthy salad roll.
Note: If you decide to use chicken, we recommend cooking the chicken according to the Thai Angel Wing Chicken recipe and video demonstration.
- ½ cup of peanut butter
- ½ cup of warm water
- ½ cup Hoisin sauce
Roll and Filling
- Rice paper
- 2-4 cooked chicken breasts from the Angel Wing Chicken recipe or cooked in any manner you enjoy (grilled, frying pan, boiled) or another protein such as beef, shrimp, fish, or tofu
- 1 jicama
- 2 carrots
- 2-3 yellow, red, and/or green bell pepper
- Mixed greens
- Mint leaves
Preparation: (about 15 mins)
Make the peanut sauce
- Mix the peanut and hot water to make a smooth paste.
- Mix in hoisin sauce and stir.
Dice vegetables and protein
- Slice jicama vertically and then cut julienne strips from the slices (see video for how to slice).
- Slice other vegetables into thin julienne strips.
- Slice chicken or other protein into thin strips.
Roll ingredients into rice paper
- Dip a sheet of rice paper into a large bowl of warm water and hold in water briefly so it becomes pliable but firm. Remove and shake off excess water.
- Place rice paper on a plate, leaving one edge of paper hanging over edge.
- Begin filling roll from the edge closest to you with strips of chicken, then mint, then jicama, mixed greens, and other vegetables. Arrange vegetables in a pile to take up about 1/3 of the paper.
- Using your thumbs to pick up hanging edge of rice paper and wrap it over vegetables. Use your fingers to pull vegetables towards rice paper.
- Gently pull rice paper away from plate as you continue rolling to avoid tearing it.
- Once half-way rolled, fold the sides of the rice paper into the middle, then continue rolling by lifting paper away from plate and tightening up on the rolling.
Serve rolls on plate and peanut sauce as a dip. Enjoy!
I am proud to share this informative yet easy to use book that will help you or a loved one reverse their Type 2 Diabetes in 8 weeks. My plan will also help you to remain diabetes free as you will take this on as a lifestyle. Make better choices and take ownership of your health today!